Summer Enrichment Program Application
The 2023 Summer Enrichment Program application is open!
An application cannot be re-accessed after the application period closes, so applicants should ensure that they submit all items on time. Applicants may want to have copies of their resumes handy to help them fill in the background section.
What's New with the 2023 Summer Enrichment Program Application:
The 2023 Charles B. Rangel International Affairs Summer Enrichment Program application includes new components, now requiring applicants to submit:
- Two letters of recommendation: one from a faculty member and one from a community leader.
- A financial details section demonstrating financial need.
A complete online application includes the following:
Completed sections with background information on the applicant, including work and volunteer experiences, international experiences, and honors and awards.
An interest statement (in 500 words or less) that explains the applicant’s interest in international affairs and how this program will assist him/her in pursuing this interest
A statement (in 400 words or less) from the applicant that discusses their need for financial assistance to participate in the Rangel Summer Enrichment Program, including an explanation of:
- The extent of your financial need for your undergraduate education
- How you finance your undergraduate education
- Any Scholarships, Fellowships, Loans or other sources of funding your undergraduate education
Applicants must also answer financial questions in the application related to their parents’/guardians’ income and employment.
Transcript(s) from all colleges or universities that the applicant has attended with grades, GPAs, and coursework. An official transcript is best; a student copy is acceptable if it is in the format of an official transcripts.
Proof of full-time registration for Spring 2023, including (choose ONE):
- An unofficial or official transcript that shows courses listed for Spring 2023
- Screenshots or PDF files from applicant’s student portal that show courses registered for Spring 2023
- For study abroad programs, enclose a copy of the award/acceptance letter
Proof of U.S. citizenship, including (choose one)
- Birth certificate
- Certificate of U.S. citizenship
- U.S. passport
* Note: If you use a birth certificate, please note that if you are selected, you will need to send us a hard copy of a notarized birth certificate before your final acceptance. Those using passports or certificates of citizenship will have to bring originals to show at the start of the program. Social Security cards and driver’s licenses are not proof of citizenship and will not be sufficient.
Two letters of recommendation
- One from faculty member
- One from a community leader who can comment on the applicant’s non-academic accomplishments and his/her potential as an emerging professional.
- Additional recommendation letters will not be considered.
- Note: In the online application, applicants will identify recommenders, who will be contacted by the program and asked to submit letters electronically. Below is a copy of the recommendation letter for reference only.
- Once an applicant has added recommenders’ contacts to the application form, an automatic email will be sent to each recommender. It may take a few hours for the email to be sent to the recommender. Recommenders should check their spam folders if they’ve not received a notification.
* Note: Applicants can return to their application at any time before the deadline to update any portion of their application and submit it as final before recommenders have uploaded their letters.
Note: If selected as a Rangel Scholar, applicants will be required to send official transcripts, forms to register for university courses (provided by the Rangel Program), a medical form with immunization information (provided by the Rangel Program), and other required documents.
A panel of individuals with experience in foreign affairs and academia evaluates candidates’ applications. The Rangel Programs will strive to complete the selection process and make offers by the end of March 2023. Applicants will be notified of the results by email soon thereafter.